Thursday 17 October 2013

Reflecting


On the 4th September I started sixthform, and to be totally honest I had no idea what to expect. I was excited for what the next two years could bring me, but at the same I was feeling very nervous.
 

I have kept the same friendship group all the way through secondary school, and although I have met some wonderful people outside this group throughout those years, I still find it hard to talk to new people. The thought that I would be completely split up from this friendship barrier, and would be forced to mix with people I have never met or spoke to before slightly panicked me.
I think it's easy to get through your days in school knowing you have your friends to fall back on, but growing up means you have to learn to just push your self, stand on your own two feet and be the one who starts the conversation first.
I used to be someone who cared a lot about what people thought, and I'm usually very quiet around those I don't know, but since starting Sixthform these things have changed. I've learnt a very important thing being that, not every body is going to like you, and that's fine, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. As long as you're being yourself and you're happy that's all that matters.
Sixthform is only for two years, so what would be the point in wasting your time worrying over little things that don't even matter.

So far I am enjoying my time at Sixthform. The work is a little harder, and I've already been hit with  coursework deadlines, and numerous essays I must complete, but that was expected and that's ok.
Despite the next two years being spent working towards achieving my A-levels, I also think it's going to be a big growing up experience.
I'll leave you there as I'm supposed to be catching up on Shakespeare, but I hope this has helped any of you who are in the same position, to realise that it really is going to be ok.

Abbey x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment